Flash is a multimedia software platform that dominates the web once. If you are a 90s kid, you must have played a lot of games using Flash. Without being Flash extension installed, you can’t play videos, slideshow’s won’t run in your web browser. Without this, all interactive websites were of no use. Flash was the sole ruler of the interactive content websites before the rise of HTML5(will discuss shortly).
Although Flash is not entirely dead today. But is slowly dying as Adobe announced in the year 2017 that they will end the life of flash in 2020.
In this article, we will briefly discuss what are the alternative to the Flash. But before that have a look at History of Flash.
So What exactly is the Flash?
In the beginning, Flash was a vector-based drawing program that was developed by the company name FutureWave. Initially, it was known as FutureSplash. Back then Macromedia’s Shockwave player was best in the field and Flash appears to be the strongest contender.
Hence FutureSplash was purchased by Macromedia in 1996, they rebranded it as Macromedia Flash 1.0. It has two interrelated parts Macromedia Flash used for graphic and animation editor, and Macromedia Flash player for playing those generated graphics. Macromedia transformed the vector-based web animation platform into a full-featured web application with the help of scripts and alpha transparencies and begin distributing Flash as a proper browser plugin for playing online content.
The last version of Macromedia Flash was version 8, which focused on graphical upgrades such as filters (blur, drop shadow, etc.) and advanced features for FLV video. Then in 2005 Adobe purchase Macromedia, hence Adobe Flash was born. Many advancements come with time like 3D rendering support, better control over the graphics. In 2008 Adobe launches its another product Adobe air with the help of Flash technology, which specifically focus on online gaming
What is killing Flash? The reasons
- There are various factors which are the reason for its demise. But its security risk is the main reason. Even Adobe itself announced it in 2017 that they will be discontinued by the end of 2020
- In a web browser, Flash runs its own process with its own memories. It gets easier for hackers to jump to specific memory addresses and take control of your entire system. Till date its been the biggest flaws adobe Flash ever have.
- From the beginning, the tech giant Apple never trusted Flash. The reasons for apple’s disbelieve in Flash are vulnerable security flaws, third party dependency, etc. Apple not only push Flash to the sidelines of mobile web browsing, but it also contributed to Flash replacements.
- Faster battery drowning issues
- Rise of the open standards like HTML5, WebGL, and WebAssembly. HTMl5 will always be considered as its main reason for demise.
It is time for you to leave Flash behind and move to Html5
Replacement of Flash with HTML5
Here is full comparison of Flash and HTML5
- In HTML5 you can make your videos and audio truly accessible with the <video> and <audio> tags
- HTML5 used semantics and ARIA. ARIA special feature that is mainly used to assign specific roles to elements in an HTML document
- HTML5 uses more acurate headings like <header>, <audio>, <video>, <footer>, <section> etc. Which allows screen readers to easily identify and access the content. Before HTML your screen readers had no way to determine the purpose of the content.
- Codes are cleaner,easy to find errors ad re edit them
- You can create Games, Yes read it right, With HTML5 you can create small interactive games with <canvas> tag. If you know how to build Flash games, then you can easily create HTML5 games too
Here are the few examples of best online games using HTML5 especially for kids
These days when you are most of the time at home after managing all obligations, you will find free time for you or your family member will have a lot of free time. You or your relative can’t go out and play games on the net. There are many gaming sites that are based on HTML5 technologies.
If your family member includes a child you will find a lot of free kids games free to play on all platforms and no download at all just click and play fun games. No matter you are on a mobile, on a tablet or desktop or laptop. Everything is accepted.
There are sites which prefers flash games so these games need to be played on a desktop or a laptop and flash to be installed and enabled. Baby Lisi Games site is one of them.
If you love pets and animals especially pandas Panda Games is your best choice! There are is all about animals. Maybe pandas are preferred animals but you will find a lot of others like cats games, dog games, snakes, monkeys, lions, etc.
But if you like to become a hero here is Baby Hero Games for you!
Everyone like cooking so no matter you are a parent or a child you can play Food Games Online.
Frequently asked question
As adobe announced in July 2017, they will stop distributing and updating Flash Player after 31 December 2020
In earlier days youtube uses Flash to stream their videos. But Since 2015, all YouTube videos are streamed via HTML5 without a Flash plugin
yes, of course, you can use Adobe’s Animate CC to convert flash games to html5.
HTML5 supports SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), canvas, and other virtual vector graphics. But HTML can support Vector graphics with the combinational help of other technologies like Flash, Silverlight